IES Syllabus PDF – Download Exam Pattern 2019-20: Guys, we are here for you with the syllabus of the Indian Engineering Service. The exam conducted for this post is called Engineering Service Examination, this exam is conducted annually to select officers for the engineering services that meet the technical and managerial functions in various fields of engineering of the Government of India. Just like IAS, IFS, and IPS IES is also a part of central government. It is responsibility of Union Public Service Commission to recruit the eligible candidates for this post. This is amongst the most recognized job in the country which brings both money and reputation and lots and lots of responsibilities. Every year many applicants apply for the entrance exam. And it is very difficult to crack these exam and many fails to crack at once. Today we are here providing you the information related to eligible criteria for this exam.
IES Exam Pattern & Syllabus for Officers
- The exam is of graduation level, so the candidates need to have a graduation degree.
- The syllabus is based on the five year of course in you respective field of engineering.
- As there are different field of Engineering so the syllabus is different. The different fields are: Civil, Mechanical, Electrical’s and Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering.
- There are two level of examination Preliminary and Main Exam.
- After this you will appear for the Interview Session.
- The Prelims exam is objective in nature while main is subjective.
- The medium of the exam is English.
- There will be negative marking in the exam.
IES Preliminary Exam Syllabus
There will be two exam in this stage and you will be getting question from the topics given below. Below topics will be divided in two parts. First is general knowledge while the second will be of General Engineering. All the topics are mentioned below:
- Logical Reasoning and Analytical Ability
- Engineering Mathematics
- Numerical Analysis
- General Principles of Drawing, Design, and Importance of Safety
- Basics of Project Management
- Basics of Material Science and Engineering
- Basics of Energy and Environment: Conservation, environmental pollution, and degradation, Climate Change, Environmental impact assessment
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) based tools and their applications in Engineering such as networking, e-governance, and technology-based education.
IES Main Exam Syllabus
The Main exam is the subjective exam ad you will receive te question on the basis of the field you have chosen and in the article below we are providing you the syllabus for every field.
- Orthogonal Cutting
- Tool Life Equation Problems
- Casting Types and Design
- Resistance Welding
- Problems in Welding
- Numbers in convection like Pr No, Gr No, Re No, etc.
- Problems on conduction
- Critical thickness
- Shape factor in radiation
- Problem in Heat ex-changers like NTU
- 1st and 2nd Law Problems
- Steam Turbines
- Laws of TD and Properties
- Problems of Diesel
- Duel Cycle
- Detonation and Knocking
- Turbo Machinery
- Velocity Potential
- Flow through Pipes
- Boundary Layer Theory
- Surface Tension
- Applications of Bernoulli equation
- Centrifugal pumps
- Specific speeds of turbine and pumps
Theory Of Mechanics and Vibration
- Planetary gear train
- Gears LOC, POC
- Shafts Problems
- Governors & Fly Wheel
- Pairs & its applications
- Inversions of single & double slider crank
Renewable Source Of Energy
- Solar Radiation,
- Solar Thermal Energy collection – Flat Plate and focusing collectors their materials and performance.
- Solar Thermal Energy Storage,
- Applications – heating, cooling and Power Generation;
- Solar Photo voltaic Conversion;
- Harnessing of Wind Energy,
- Bio-mass and Tidal Energy – Methods and Applications,
- Working principles of Fuel Cells
- Solid Mechanics
- Steel Structures
- Structural Analysis
- Soil Mechanics
- Foundation Mechanics
Water Resource Engineering
- Fluid Mechanics
- Water and wastewater disposal
- Air Pollution
- Noise Pollution
- Municipal Solid Waste
- Transportation Infrastructure
- Highway Pavements
- Traffic Engineering
- Basics of Geographical Information System (GIS)
- Geographical Positioning System (GPS)
- Network graph
- KCL, KVL, Node and Mesh analysis
- Sinusoidal steady-state analysis
- Thevenin’s theorem, Norton’s theorem
- Three phase circuit.
- Electric Field Intensity, Electric Flux Density, Gauss’s Law,
- Electric field & potential due to point, line, plane & spherical charge distributions
- Biot-Savart’s law, Ampere’s law
- Self and Mutual inductance of simple configurations
Signals and System
- Representation of continuous and discrete-time signals.
- Linear Time-Invariant and Causal systems, Sampling theorem.
- Applications of Fourier Transform, Laplace Transform, and z-Transform.
- Single phase transformer,
- Three phase transformers,
- Auto-transformer, DC machines, Three phase induction motors,
- Operating principle of single phase induction motors, Synchronous machines
- Types of losses and efficiency calculations of electric machines.
- Power generation concepts
- Electric field distribution and insulators
- Gauss-Seidel and Newton-Raphson load flow methods
- Voltage and Frequency control, Power factor correction
- Symmetrical components, Symmetrical and unsymmetrical fault analysis,
- Circuit breakers, System stability concepts.
- Mathematical modeling and representation of systems
- Feedback principle, transfer function, Block diagrams and Signal flow graphs
- Transient and Steady-state analysis of linear time-invariant systems
- Routh-Hurwitz and Nyquist criteria, Bode plots.
- P, PI and PID controllers; State space model, State transition matrix.
Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
Networks, Signals and Systems
- Network solution methods
- Network theorems
- Linear 2-port network parameters
- Continuous-time signals
- Discrete-time signals
- LTI systems
- Digital filter design techniques.
- Energy bands in intrinsic and extrinsic silicon;
- Carrier transport P-N junction,
- Zener diode, BJT, MOS capacitor MOSFET, LED
- Photodiode and solar cell
- Integrated circuit fabrication process
- Small signal equivalent circuits of diodes, BJTs and MOSFETs; Simple diode circuits
- Single-stage BJT and MOSFET amplifiers
- BJT and MOSFET amplifiers
- Sinusoidal oscillators
- Function generators, wave-shaping circuits and 555 timers
- Voltage reference circuits
- Power supplies: ripple removal and regulation.
- Number systems; Combinatorial circuits
- Sequential circuits
- Data Converters
- Semiconductor memories
- 8-bit microprocessor (8085)
- Basic control system components
- Block diagram representation
- Signal flow graph
- Transient and steady-state analysis of LTI systems;
- Frequency response;
- Routh-Hurwitz and Nyquist stability criteria; Bode and root-locus plots; Lag, lead and lag-lead compensation;
- State variable model and solution of state equation of LTI systems.
- Random processes
- Analog communications
- Information theory
- Digital communications
- Fundamentals of error correction, Hamming codes;
- Timing and frequency synchronization, inter-symbol interference and its mitigation
- Basics of TDMA, FDMA and CDMA
- Maxwell’s equations
- Plane waves and properties
- Transmission lines
- Wave guides
- Basics of radar
- Light propagation in optical fibers
So, this is the syllabus for the Indian Engineering Services in details and soon we will be providing you the various information relating to it too. Hope that you like the information shared here if you have any queries relating to the article than please comment in the comment box.